Sunday, July 11, 2010

The One You Feed

I never expected my first post to be a link to someone else's site, but Stephen Tobolowsky's "A Good Day in Auschwitz," episode 34 of the Tobolowsky Files, is just too good to ignore. Stephen accepts an invitation to the home of an elderly man he met at his synagogue and learns a lot about what it takes to have a good day at Auschwitz.

The story Stephen uses to wrap up the segment hits me right where I live every day. Which wolf do I feed with my attitudes, my thought life--even my prayers?

Since I work in an evangelical environment, worship at a mainline church, studied for the ministry at a well-respected seminary, I know what the answer should be. But I know I have seen the other wolf, the greedy, jealous, murderous wolf, in every religious community I have been part off--and I know for a fact that I have carried that beast there many days myself.

Thank you, Mr. Tobolowsky, for the warning sign on the journey.

--M

No comments:

Post a Comment